Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Next Step

This is just a quick post to take note of the next notable date in the transition - May 21, the date of the FCC's proposed national soft test of all unconverted stations. This story came out on May 5, and while it's important to note that this plan is entirely voluntary, as of two days ago the FCC and broadcasters appear to be working together on this. The plan appears to be for three five minute tests (7:30 AM, 12:30 PM and 6:30 PM). I've had my doubts about five-minute tests in the past, but if every station in town is running them at the same time, that should get some additional attention.

As previously noted, the last notable date was April 16, when 75 stations transitioned. I was only able to find this one story regarding that, in which the Denver Post reports that the FCC hotline got a lot more calls than anticipated (and leads with an example of reception problems). We've seen these kinds of stories before. What we don't see are the follow-up stories that tell us how things are going a month or two later (which would give us a better idea of how things will go on and after June 12).

So, can you fill in the gaps? Have you or anyone you know (friends, family, co-workers) lost your signal (caught by surprise or reception problems) in the ongoing transition? Was that situation resolved, and if so, how long did it take?

1 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Jesse said...

Hello,

My name is Jesse and I recently visited your website and
saw your page about the digital transition. I operate a website
that maintains reviews and ratings of over 50 different TV converter
boxes that have been approved by the government for the digital
transition. My set of reviews is the largest set on the world wide web
and has done a great deal in helping people choose the best converter boxes.

Due to the quality and thoroughness of my reviews my website has been getting
publicity throughout the internet from highly respected newspaper sources, ABC
news affiliates, Local PBS Stations and Fox 4 News in Kansas City even did a story
on my website. My company is also a member of the Digital Transition Coalition.

I was emailing you today to see if you would be interested in some type of strategic relationship that would benefit both of us. Whether it be exchanging links, me being an affiliate, or whatever you might have in mind.

My website is http://dtvconverterboxes.blogspot.com and I get thousands of hits to my site everyday.

I look forward to hearing from you either way.

Thanks!
Jesse
dtvconverterboxes@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home